Tuesday 10 February 2009

A pause for thought.

This morning I realised that anybody happening on this blog would have no inkling of the story behind it, so now's the time to remedy that.

I am a recovering carboholic. You think there's no such thing? Well, scientist have at last proved there is, but I, along with many others, have experienced it for years. In the same way that an alcoholic should never be offered a drink, a carboholic should not be pushed into "just one slice of cake". At last my family understands, but it's been difficult for them to comprehend.

The British Government would have us believe that it's unhealthy - nay, dangerous - to eat the foods that humans have thrived on for millennia. Unhealthy? Last week I had an hg1Ac blood glucose test which came back as 5.2. Absolutely normal, despite all the toxic medication I need to take following transplant surgery fifteen years ago.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, Americans reduced - yes, reduced - their intake of total fat between 1970 and 1990, but have become obese in the process. Why? Because they now eat more carbohydrates with the fat.

Contrary to general opinion, and misleading 'expert opinion', a low-carb diet is not a high-protein one, but it is high in fat - saturated fats for preference - something else that has the 'expert nutritionists' in a spin.

The same nutritionists claim that the effects of long-term low-carb dieting are unknown, making it dangerous. Not so. The first low-carb diet book was published in 1863 by William Banting, and when I was young the accepted way of losing weight was to cut out potatoes, bread, sugar, sweets, pastry, cakes and biscuits. In effect it was a low-carb diet!

Conversely, low-fat/low-calorie diets have only been around since the 1970s - and look at the damage they've done! I know to my cost how dangerous low-fat diets are, as over forty years following the advice of slimming clubs I slowly, and relentlessly, gained five stone. I believe that low-fat dieting has also damaged my eyesight beyond repair; damage which seems to have been halted by rigorous low-carb. Who knows how many more of my medical problems have been caused by following such advice.

So why not read the science and decide for yourself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The views and opinions expressed in this blog reflect the author’s point of view.
Material copyrighted by other authors is quoted under a claim of "fair use.".
*************************************************************

Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

eXTReMe Tracker